This is one of the first things my mum let me make, which speaks for itself. The original recipe comes from the wonderful world of The Women’s Weekly. Its dead easy, very tasty, loaded with healthy goodness.
Beef & Pasta Bake
4 tsp good quality olive oil
2 large onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic crushed (or 3 teaspoons of garlic from a jar)
4 rashes of bacon, finely diced
3 small carrots, finely diced
3 stalks celery, finely diced
500g button mushrooms, sliced
1kg beef mince
2 x 400g cans condensed tomato soup
2/3c tomato paste
2 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tsp dried oregano
500g spiral pasta (I prefer the high fibre pasta, but any is fine)
2 cups grated cheese
1/2c grated or shaved parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Heat the oil in a large pan; cook the onion, garlic, bacon, carrot and celery, stirring, until the carrot is just tender. Add mushrooms and cook a further 2 minutes.
- Add mince, and cook, stirring until mince has browned, breaking up any lumps.
- Add soup, tomato paste, sauce, and oregano; then simmer, covered for 15 minutes or until mix has thickened. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just cooked, drain then add to beef mix.
- Place into a large retangular baking dish, then top with cheeses. Bake in oven for 15 minutes until top is golden brown.