A great comfort food that will give loads of left overs, this cottage pie is especially great in the winter time. I however am a crazy person and have made it smack bang in the middle of summer. Thank goodness for air conditioning!
This is a great pie to make when you have lots of left over vegies that just need to be eaten. With a cheesy potato-y top, it’s a sure fire way to get kidlets to eat their vegies!
One Pot Cottage Pie Prep time 15 mins, Cooking time 50 mins, Serves 8 – 10
1 large onion – diced
1kg beef mince
4 cloves garlic – chopped finely
2 carrots – diced
½ head broccoli – chopped into small heads
¼ red cabbage – sliced finely
¼ green cabbage – sliced finely
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen beans
5 large potatoes – mashed
810g tin crushed tomato
¾ cup grated cheese (I used a mix of parmesan and tasty)
½ cup red wine
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
3 tbs tomato paste
3 tsp sugar
4 heaped tsp beef stock powder
3 heaped tsp Gravox traditional gravy – powdered
3 sprigs fresh oregano
3 fresh bay leaves
1 tbs butter
¼ cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare a large pot that can be used on a stove top as well as oven by heating some oil on a medium/high heat.
- Brown the onions and garlic
- Add the minced beef. When half cooked sprinkle over the powdered beef stock and mix through. Cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Add all the remaining ingredients (except the mashed potato, cheese, butter and milk) and combine.
- When bubbling reduced the heat and simmer on medium for 30 minutes or until the liquid is reduced.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Meanwhile prepare the potatoes. Dice into 3cm cubes and boil until soft. Drain and add butter and milk and mash well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When mince mixture is reduced remove from heat, spoon over mashed potato and sprinkle generously with cheese.
- By this time the oven should be at temperature. Move entire pot of mince and potato to the oven and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted and gone golden.
- Now you’re ready to serve!