When I think of Golden Syrup Dumplings, I think old school classic favourite, skip the healthy and go for downright yum. Naughty and nice, that sweetness from the brown sugar, cut through by the slightly bitter golden syrup flavour. Topped with a dash of cream and a scoop of vanilla icecream turns this into a perfect dessert, but one that you definately need to leave plenty of room for! Can anyone say sugar coma?
Prep Time 25 mins, Cook Time 20 minutes – Serves 6
GOLDEN SYRUP DUMPLINGS
190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
40g butter, chilled, chopped
80ml (1/3 cup) milk
80ml (1/3 cup) golden syrup
500ml (2 cups) boiling water
185ml (3/4 cup) golden syrup
100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- Mix ingredients for sauce in a heavy based pot and place over a medium heat until butter has melted and mix has come to a simmer.
- While sauce is heating, place flour and butter in bowl and rub butter in until it forms a light crumb.
- Add milk and golden syrup into flour and butter, then portion into 18 dumplings.
- Place dumplings into simmering syrup sauce and cook for 20 minutes until dumplings have puffed up and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream and a drizzle of thickened cream
Sit back and enjoy – remember to share with friends, because as nice as these are, they’re liable to make you feel a touch ill if you eat too many 🙂 Cheers ~LC