I love when my Husband decides to cook, and I love how he always knows he can ask me for help! Today, he came up with this meal all on his own, I couldn’t be more proud.
Smoking meat has become a regular thing in our household. Bacon, steaks, chicken, fish, you name it, we smoke it! Today however was the first time we smoked salmon fillets in our Nipper Kipper smoking box. Now I am asking myself “Why didn’t we do this sooner?!”.
This meal is easy and delicious, even if you can’t smoke it, the salmon would be just as delicious pan fried in some butter, or even baked in the oven.
Next time you are out to impress, why not try this?
Prep time – 10mins, Cooking time 30mins, Serves 4
Smoked Salmon Fillet with Parsley Potatoes & Cream Cheese Spread
4 fillets salmon, skin on
8 baby chat potatoes
Small bunch fresh parsley – chopped finely
1/3 small red onion – chopped finely
225g tub cream cheese
½ cup dark brown sugar
2 cups balsamic vinegar
Small bag rocket
4 tbs grated parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place your potatoes on to boil.
- If you have a smoking box, or small BBQ that will allow you to smoke meat, do so to the salmon according to your smoker’s instructions. Place salmon skin down, and smoke for about 25mins. If you do not have a smoker, feel free to pan fry or oven bake (covered).
- While salmon is smoking, heat the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a shallow frying pan or saucepan over a medium heat, stirring every few minutes. Keep at a simmer for 20mins, or until the glaze is reduced by half and will coat the back of a spoon.
- While glaze is reducing, prepare your cream cheese spread by combining the cream cheese, chopped onion and half the parsley and mix well, set aside.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain and add remaining parsley and butter, stir until the potatoes are coated.
- On your serving plates take a small amount of rocket as a side salad and sprinkle each with about a tablespoon of parmesan.
- When the salmon is cooked, assemble your meal with salmon skin side up, salad, cream cheese and potatoes, and drizzle everything lightly with the balsamic glaze.