Forgive me, its been a little while since I’ve managed to get a post up – but never fear, I *have* still been creating yummy dishes to share with you all. A change of jobs has kept me crazy busy. But this pasta was so quick, simple and YUM I couldn’t wait to share it.
Prep time – 5 mins, cook time – 20 minutes, serves 4.
PUMPKIN & BACON PASTA
375g dried spaghetti (or 500g fresh)
350g Butternut Pumkpin, peeled and thinly shaved (I suggest using a good veg peeler)
1/3c Olive Oil
6 rashers bacon, streaky part only, sliced into thin battons
1 1/2c coarse breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons crushed garlic
1 tsp dried oregano
1 long red chilli, finely sliced
1/4c grated parmesan
1 tbsp baby capers, roughly chopped
1/2c spring onions, thinly sliced
- Cook pasta as to packet directions, and drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan and add bacon, cooking for 4-5 minutes until golden brown and starting to crisp, remove from pan and drain on paper towel. Then add pumpkin to pan and cook for 2-3 minutes until just tender before removing to a bowl, cover and keep warm.
- Add another 2 tbsp oil to pan, add breadcrumbs, garlic, oregano and chilli and cook for 4-5 minutes until crumbs are golden and crispy, season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove to bowl, keep warm.
- Add pasta, reserved water, parmesan, capers, spring onions, bacon, pumpkin and half the breadcrumbs back to the pan and toss to combine and warm through
- Serve immediately topped with more garlic chilli crumb, and a sprinkle of parmesan.
This is a very customisable recipe – if you like lots of bacon (I mean, who doesn’t) – add more bacon, or if you like a good solid kick, more chilli. I haven’t tried it yet, but would see sweet potato being suitable in place of pumpkin, or add some shredded chicken.
Happy eating ~LC