I can remember when I was in primary school when we learned Indonesian we did a unit on food. The best part was the day the teacher made us nasi goreng which translates to fried rice.
It was delicious and has been a favourite to eat and make ever since that day.
Here is my simple fried rice recipe.
Prep time – 15mins, Cooking time -20mins, Serves 6
2 cups rice
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 carrots – finely diced
1/4 cabbage – finely sliced
200g chopped mushrooms
200g finely chopped chicken
100g finely chopped bacon
1 tbs minced garlic
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbs sugar
1tbs sesame oil
1tbs peanut oil
- Rinse rice under cold water until water runs clear. Boil rice and when cooked rinse with cold water and set aside to drain.
- In a wok or large frying pan heat peanut oil over a high heat. When hot, fry up chicken, bacon and garlic until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add to the meat all vegies and stirfry until the carrot is soft and the peas are hot.
- Add rice, mixing through well.
- In a small bowl mix the sesame oil, soy sauce and sugar. Add to the rice mixture and stir through well.
- Create a well in the centre of the rice mixture and crack both eggs into the centre. Stir eggs and when they are starting to solidify mix through the rice mixture.
- Rice is ready when the egg is cooked throughout the rice.
- Serve with crushed peanuts or chopped shallots or with nothing at all (the sooner it gets in your belly the better!)
- Enjoy 🙂