Who doesn’t like chocolate? If you find someone that doesn’t, well then there is something seriously wrong with them! These chocolate muffins are a serious indulgence. Chocolate base with two types of chocolate chips (thee if you don’t have a fussy husband who won’t let you use milk chocolate) brings all the yummy to these muffins.
Prep time – 10 mins, Cooking time – 20 mins, Makes 15
I remember a recipe similar to this that my mum used to make all the time when I was a kid. They were the best muffins ever, alas that recipe has been lost but I’d say this one comes in at a very close second. Rich but not too rich, good in the centre and crunchy on top, you definitely won’t be disappointed with these guys.
Triple Chocolate Chip Muffins
2 ½ cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
3/4 cup dark chocolate bits
3/4 cup milk choc bits
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg – lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/3 cup dark chocolate bits
1/3 cup milk chocolate bits
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 tbs butter
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. In a large bowl sift the flour and cocoa powder. Mix in the chocolate bits and sugar and create a well in the centre of the bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the egg, milk, oil and vanilla and whisk lightly with a fork.
- Pour milk mix into flour mix and stir together with a wooden spoon until combined. If the mix is a little dry add a dash more milk.
- Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 mins.
- When cooked remove from muffin tins and allow to cool to room temperature.
- To create the icing, place chocolate, butter and milk in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high in the microwave for 20 seconds. Stir well until all the ingredients have melted and make a smooth mixture. Add the icing sugar and using a whisk, stir the mixture until smooth.
- Let mixture chill in the fridge to thicken for about 10 mins. When muffins have reached room temperature they can be iced.