Cornbread is a staple of Southern style cooking and is just generally yummy and can be eaten whenever you want! (That’s the rule in our house anyway!) This recipe is relatively simple and a great addition to any Southern style meal (like this Slow Cooker Honey Parmesan Pork Roast!).
Why not try it the next time you make something saucy as it’s perfect for mopping up your plate after a meal.
Prep time – 20 mins, Cooking time – 30-40 mins, Serves 12
1 ¾ cups Cornmeal*
¾ cup plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp bi carbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
¼ cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk
¼ cup vegetable oil
2 cups corn kernels (canned is fine, make sure it is drained)
- Pre-heat your oven to 220 degree Celsius and place a heavy based cast iron pan inside to heat up.
- In a bowl mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, bi carb, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl mix the buttermilk, eggs, oil and corn kernels.
- Make a hole in the dry ingredients mix and gently pour in the wet ingredients and mix well. Your batter should be wet. Don’t worry!
- Take your cast iron pan out of the oven and pour in some oil/butter/bacon fat (all of these will work, you just need enough to coat the bottom of the pan). If you don’t have a cast iron pan a baking dish that has been well buttered will also work.
- Into your hot pan gently pour the batter, you should hear a sizzle as the batter starts cooking. Place immediately into the oven and cook for 30-40minutes or until golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- When cooked removed from oven and let sit for 10mins. Turn out onto a rack and allow to cool further.
- Enjoy with your favourite meal or just on its own, this cornbread will be super yummy either way!
*If you can’t source cornmeal, polenta will also work, it’s basically the same thing, just not milled as finely as cornmeal.
One thought on “Cornbread”
Pingback: Slow Cooker Honey Parmesan Pork Roast | The Strange Couple